MS buys Skype - will it support Linux

Ely Levy elylevy at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed May 11 10:36:47 IDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011, Amos Shapira wrote about "MS buys Skype - will it support Linux":
>> In case this haven't hit your newspad yet:
>> http://blogs.skype.com/en/2011/05/microsoft_will_acquire_skype.html
>>
>> Any ideas on what it implies for none-Windows platform support?
>
> I am not aware of *any* Microsoft product that is officially supported on
> Linux. So I don't think there's any chance that a Linux version of Skype
> will continue to exist.
>
> That being said, three questions remain to be answered:
>
> 1. How hard is it to create a free front-end to the Skype servers? For
>   example, ICQ never had (as far as I know) a Linux version, but I've been
>   using it for years through free clients like (today) Pidgin.

very hard, it's encrypted on development protocol.

> 2. With all the world moving to VOIP and video chats, is Skype still unique?
>   I know that Google Voice is available (but not in Israel...), and probably
>   others (I didn't look too hard).

Yes, but the unique features are not available on linux anyhow (such
as multi person video chatting).
Skype is also very easy and comfortable to configure. I've been trying
to find a good opensource replacement
on linux for years now:(

> 3. Will Microsoft also drop support for Skype on non-Microsoft smartphone OSs
>   (iOS, android, etc.)?

Probably, it seems that they are aiming for xbox/new windows mobile phones.

Ely