Are Android questions on topic here?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Wed May 11 13:41:43 IDT 2011

On 11/05/11 13:01, Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:56:28PM +0300, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
>
>> Question to the (non-existent) LINUX-IL cabal: this is a list for
>> technical questions on Linux. Some Android issues have been discussed
>> here. Are technical Android discussions officially on topic or off
>> topic? Can we decide once and for all?
>>
> Isn't Android Linux?
In a nutshell - no. It is a completely different set of APIs, with some
Linux kernel deep underneath.
>   Why is there a question?
Because while the list does tolerate the occasional "I'm trying to do
this impossible thing in Linux", and there is even an open source
project[1] by, among others, yours truly, that was triggered by
precisely such a question[2], I'm not sure we would like to hear a bunch
of "How do I save my Layout when my Activity is destroyed due to
landscape to portrait orientation".
>   Did anyone ever try to
> imply that Android is off-topic?

I think Oleg might be erring on the side of caution here, but I think
it's a good side to err to.
> BTW, once upon a time it was defined as "Linux AND Israel".

Good point. I hereby revise my previous answer to include BiDi related
Android issue as on topic as well :-)

Shachar

1 - http://sourceforge.net/projects/privbind/
2 - http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il/msg48799.html