Problems with ubuntu and default file manager

Nitzan Brumer nitzanb at gmail.com
Mon May 16 09:24:42 IDT 2011

What a headache!
I've upgraded my Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 - and what a big mistake it was.
It took some time and I've managed to handle most of the things but there is
one problem that I cant manage to fix.

On the first time I've opened chrome on the 11.04 I've tried to open a csv
file and a popup appeared asking with what to open the file.
Didn't think it over and I typed calc - thinking about libreoffice calc (the
spreadsheet program)
Now, any file I try to open from google chrome (but not only from chrome) I
get a popup saying:
"
Failed to execute default File Manager.
Failed to execute child process "calc" (No such file or directory).
"
The same thing happens if I right-click a folder and choose open with ->
file manager.

I've tried everything to override this krap but with no success.
Its not under chrome settings
I can't change it through settings->default applications
Its not under ~/.local/share/applications

And I just can't open the files unless I choose save as and open them from
the file manager
The problem is that not all the sites gives you a save as link and some just
downloads directly to chrome cache.

Help, Please.

Nitzan Brumer
Http://n2b.org