[OFFTOPIC] Finding the next lucrative niche (was: Re: Goodbye, Lingnu)

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:33:00 IST 2011

Hi,

I'll give you one: Supporting hosting customers.

Explanation: there are over 40 businesses here in Israel which provides VPS
and dedicated server renting solutions.
Most of those businesses (including mine) provide the machine to the
customers as "unmanaged",
which means: the support you'll get relates *only* to network (if your
VPS/Server) can communicate to and from the server
The other part of support: shutting down/restart/pause/reset the server.

Anything else - you're on your own. You can purchase a bank of hours for
support or you can get emergency support for a higher price.

There are, of course, some hosting businesses which will give you managed
service, but in most case I would strongly recommend to get a freelance who
will do the job for the client.

Why? because they *SUCK AT IT* ! spreading root privileges all over the
place, changing permissions of directories and files to 777, opening the
internal firewall (if it exists, most of the time it's not) to everyone+his
dog, and other nonsense stuff, and I'm also talking about the *BIG*
providers which are also ISP - they suck, period!

I think that this niche is mostly empty and people can get some
jobs/contracts with such customers.

If anyone want to register himself, I have a neutral forum for that. see
here: http://hosts-forum.com/index.php

Hope this helps,
Hetz

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Omer Zak <w1 at zak.co.il> wrote:

> We need some process for identifying the next niche to pursue, taking
> into account current skill set, customers/contacts, and effort&expense
> incurred in acquiring the competencies relevant for the next niche.
>
> Did anyone blog about such a process?
> --

*חץ בן חמו
חץ-ביז
*השכרה ואירוח של שרתים פיזיים
מעוניין להשתמש בשרותים שחסומים לגולש הישראלי? Hulu? NetFlix? Pandora?
Google Voice? אם כן, היכנס לכאן <http://vps.net.bz/?p=406>.