[OFFTOPIC] Finding the next lucrative niche (was: Re: Goodbye, Lingnu)

Etzion Bar-Noy ezaton at tournament.org.il
Mon Nov 14 23:27:38 IST 2011

It doesn't matter. Because a customer needs a method of estimating a work,
does not make you his bitch(tm). You can estimate your work, but you seldom
work in a vacuum. You are working on his servers, on his setups, his
storage devices, around his network equipment. Under most cases, when I get
delayed, it's because of the customer, and not me.

Example. One of the newer cellular suppliers has demanded that I install a
large system in their new server farm (16 blades and a storage). I have
prepared the system, and on the delivery day (which was very time-pressed
due to the customer), I have discovered that they had not installed 220v AC
there yet. Can't do anything with the servers. The funny thing is that
during that time, two or three weeks since, the system is just sitting
there, when the server room is being "built" around it.

Ez