A good Linux kernel vintage?

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Wed Nov 16 17:19:16 IST 2011

Hello,

I'm running Fedora 12 on my main computer, with no intentions to upgrade
the entire system (as I have a lot of non-distribution software which
will be headache to reinstall). My choice of distribution in indeed
questionable, but not the issue.

I'd like to upgrade my kernel to anything > 2.6.36. But as many of you
know, Linux kernels are a bit like wine: You know if you got a good one
only after opening the bottle and waiting a little.

So can anyone point at a kernel version (possibly flavor) which is known
to be a successful one? I'm not looking for answers such as "I'm running
kernel X.XX.XX with no problems". You may have problems you're not aware
of. For example, I want to leave 2.6.35 because of that pretty famous
system freeze under intensive disk load.

What I would like to hear, is if someone can point at a certain kernel
version, which is well-known to be a success. One that is, in
retrospective, free from any serious bugs (such as the one mentioned above).

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

    Eli

--