A good Linux kernel vintage?

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Wed Nov 16 23:36:11 IST 2011

Thanks for your answers.

Some of you asked what my requirements are. Well, it's pretty simple. I
want my desktop computer to work. I want to keep my mind on the things
I'm doing with my computer, and not on why this or that happened
unexpectedly.

I would also love it to be multitasking. That means running one heavy
operation, say compile a kernel or create a huge disk image, and
meanwhile check my mail. Or watch a Youtube video.

I'm not expecting top performance. I just want it to do what one could
fairly expect from a modern operating system.

I'm pretty close to that already, expect for a problem with the sound
card (worked around with USB speakers) and that disk load bug. I'm
starting to consider patching the existing kernel for those two
problems, hoping not to mess things up. So no, I really don't mind
compiling my own kernel.

As for running four-number kernels, and avoiding bleeding edge
development kernels, well, of course.

What I really hoped with this question, is that someone who follows LKML
pretty closely could point at a kernel which has become renowned for not
having a lot of bug reports about crucial issues. One that actually got
it right.

Anyone?

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il