What's the best way to sync two laptops?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 00:55:06 IST 2011

On 28 November 2011 09:47, Michael Shiloh <michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I now have two laptops which I'll use somewhat interchangeably. What's a
> good way to sync work between them?
>
> My main job is teaching, so I have many teaching notes and other
> documents. Dropbox might be a good way to sync these. I'm going to be
> doing some 3D design so I'll have inkscape and blender files as well.
> Dropbox again, I think.

Sounds like a winner, yes. I use Dropbox sporadically to make some useful
files (e.g. my password safe) available across my computers, including my
Android phone.

> What about browsing stuff? History, passwords, bookmarks. I use
> Vimperator, which has such a good history mechanism I rarely use
> bookmarks but rely heavily on history. I could put my entire .mozilla
> directory in Dropbox. In fact I could put all my . files (cshrc, vimrc,
> etc.)

Firefox (7, 8?) comes with sync option. Try that.

> How do you prefer to handle mail? Do you prefer to keep it on the server
> or on your local computer? If local, how do you sync multiple computers? If
> remote, how do you work with past messages when offline?

I use Gmail through its web interface for personal mail, and Thunderbird 8
to access workplace Exchange over IMAP. You can use IMAP for GMail too and
keep local copies of the entire folder if you like.

> Up to now I've downloaded my gmail to my laptop and not deleted on the
> server. That gives me a local copy to work with if I have no Internet
> access, as well as an online backup I can access via my cellphone.
>
> Sent email is stored only on my laptop, meaning I don't have access to
> it when I'm away from my laptop.

You can configure the mail client (Thunderbird in my case) to keep copies
of sent mail in different ways: upload to "Sent" IMAP folder or BCC
yourself. Read The Funny Manual.

> I've always felt this was not an ideal situation, but fixing this was
> not a high priority. Keeping everything on the server means I'll run out
> of space eventually, and keeping a local copy means I consume space on my
> hard drive.
>
> Concrete suggestions as well as your own personal experience and methods
> will be most appreciated.

I hope the above answers these questions.

> Years ago I remember reading about someone who had everything checked in
> to CVS, including all his email. This allowed him to sync his computer at
> home, work, elsewhere using CVS. Interesting solution.

Stress is on "Years ago", IMHO. The world has moved a bit since then.