remote directory/partition

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 23:03:49 IST 2011

Hi,

Here is a theoretical question:

Lets say I have a Linux server in Israel, and I have a block of storage
(lets say iSCSI partition for this example) in USA, and I want to mount it
on my server in Israel.
iSCSI over such a long distance and with big latency (thanks to our ISP's)
is a big no no, it's too slow. NFS is also not a good idea (here's
why<http://goo.gl/vn4GM>
).

I can take this storage, format it and export it from my server in USA, but
which protocol would give me:

   1. All (or almost all) functionality of a local mounted device
   2. Can work with long distance latencies
   3. won't "kill" the machine if the remote directory is disconnected /
   "disappeared"
   4. If possible - supported (either directly or using 3rd party driver) on
   Windows 2008 (Linux is the main concern, Windows is optional)

i'm not looking for FTP solution (I checked curlftpfs, which is FTP
implemented using FUSE. it's nice but when it disconnects, the machine will
have issues), and webdav (slow)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hetz