remote directory/partition

Udi Finkelstein Linux-IL at udif.com
Sun Oct 23 11:35:31 IST 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il>wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011, Etzion Bar-Noy wrote about "Re: remote
> directory/partition":
> > Gravity generator. The speed of gravity is still unknown, but might be
> very
> > very fast, and will enforce low-latency and cross-barrier transport
> across
> > continents. I don't think, however, you can find a gravity generator in
> the
> > commodity market. Not sure if you can find any at all :-)
>
> Indeed. It is worth remembering that the diameter of a circle is a full
> 1.5708 (PI/2) times shorter than half its circumference, so if you can get
> the communication *through* the earth, you can make the latency 37% lower
> than with traditional wires-over-the-surface communication technology.

The Neutrinos were actually traveling THROUGH the earth.

Quoted from
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/09/neutrinos-travel-faster-than-lig.html:

The data come from a 1300-metric-ton particle detector named Oscillation
Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus (OPERA). Lurking in Italy's
subterranean Gran Sasso National Laboratory, OPERA detects neutrinos that
are fired through the earth from the European particle physics laboratory,
CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland. As the particles hardly interact at all with
other matter, they stream right through the ground, with only a very few
striking the material in the detector and making a noticeable shower of
particles.

Udi