FSF Campaign against Microsoft's Plan to Enforce "Secure Boot"

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:51:56 IST 2011

Amos wrote:
> Were there echoes of this argument outside Israel?

Yes, the hi-tech field is both heavily invested in Israel and
populated by Jews. It spread like wildfire even making the BBC and
other media. So while people who support the "Palestinian cause",
where cheering that he made a stand, everyone with investment in
Israel, or a business dependent upon Israeli products, or Israeli
developed technology was aghast.

It's one thing to not have a Jew in your country club or marry your
children, but it's completely different to have your stock portfolio
become worthless paper.

RMS's comments on Steve Jobs where much nicer than he was given credit
for. However the press was looking for a way to get rid of him, and
that was it.

I am a US citizen, I vote in US elections, and I file US tax returns.
There some things I leave to US residents and if I were a resident of
Massachusetts I would have filed complaints to the Secretary of State
and the IRS that RMS's boycott, as President of the FSF, of Israel was
cause to dissolve the corporation and revoke their tax exempt status.

The founders of the FSF tried to do a legal trick when they
incorporated to get more ability to "spread their message", but it
also restricts them from such activity.

I did not file those complaints, but I expect that other people also
read their articles of incorporation (it's on their web site), spent
10 seconds with google looking up the law behind it, (wikipedia has a
good article) and did file complaints.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(