Israeli Mageia Linux Mirror

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Oct 28 19:13:10 IST 2011

Hello Geoffrey,

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:51:08 +0200
geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2011, at 9:23 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
>
> > [1] - When I talked about it with a support persons of my ISP, they
> > said it's a
> > known and deliberate issue and that I should pay extra for the
> > "Gamer's Package"
> > to get priority for international traffic.
>

> It's not a deliberate attempt to screw you, or prevent you doing your
> good work, or closet support of Microsoft. It's their best guess
> attempt at equally sharing a scarce resource (international bandwidth)
> among all of their users.

Well, I know that I can download from http://mirror.isoc.org.il/ in the full
download speed, and that I can also download more quickly by opening several
connections (using https://sourceforge.net/projects/prozilla/ ). So it seems a
bit suspicious.

I also recall that download speed from abroad was better about two years ago.

> Paying for a gamer's package won't help much, depending upon the ISP,
> most of them give you better INTERACTIVE performance at the cost of
> poorer downloads, etc.

I see.

> My advice to you is to schedule you work so that uploads and downloads
> are done at off hours. 012's off hours are around 3am to 3pm, for
> example. One day, as a test, I tried to see how much I could download
> in a day using a 15mbit NGN line and a regular 012 account. I was able
> to get over 50g (50 gigabytes) of download, 99+% during the off peak
> period.

Well, I need to do things when I need to do them, and need to download stuff
throughout my computer working day. And when I do, it tend to sucks.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish