Converting multiple html files to pdf files

Mordecha Behar mordecha.behar at mail.huji.ac.il
Sun Oct 30 09:45:33 IST 2011

2011/10/30 Steve G. <wordz2u at gmail.com>

> Happy Halloween!
>
> I have a large number of .htm files (text in English, Spanish or Hebrew
> with punctuation marks) which I want to convert to .pdf or PDF files, so I
> can read them on the Kindle.
>
> I know how to do it manually - I open them in a browser, select
> Print-Print to file - PDF, give a name and print. But as I have several
> hundred files, it is not practical.
>
> 1. Is there a more automated, preferably command line, to take each file,
> and convert it to from filename.htm to filename.pdf, while keeping the file
> name?
>
> 2. Is there a way to control the output of the pdf file, so that the font
> size is adequate for the kindle (I do not have specs, so I will use trial
> and error), which has a small screen with a 600x800 resolution?
>
> For the record, I tried a program called wkhtmltopdf (static version), and
> it works, but sticks rectangles  between letters rather often. Printing
> from Firefox to PDF works, but is a manual process. Considering I have
> hundreds of files, it is impractical.
>
> Thanks,

Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) will convert just about anything to
just about anything, as long as there is no DRM involved. It also has a
function for batch-conversions, although I've never used it (the batch
conversion. I do use it to manage my eBook library and convert files
singly). But the reviewers rave....