looking for an embedded linux hw.

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 17:52:30 IDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM, geoffrey mendelson <
geoffreymendelson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Erez D wrote:
>
>  We need to design a system, which communicates data at rates of around
>> 30Mbs via ethernet.
>> We are designing the hardware from scratch.
>>

> Is that bits or bytes? 30M BITS per second is high end router, dedicated
> 100Base T, 30M bytes per second is gigabit ethernet and a heck of a lot of
> CPU.

Mbps - lowercase b - bits. 30M bits per second.

>  I Thought of assembling a board with a processor (which will run linux)
>> and a small fpga.
>>
>> However, I do not want to invent the wheel. don't want to port linux to a
>> new system. don't want to create my own reference design.
>>
>> So i am looking for a reference design for the hardware. and an open
>> source project which will supply the linux system and toolchain.
>>
>> Anybody knows of such a project which both has a hardware reference and
>> toolchain ?
>>

> I think that before you do anything you should prototype it using PC
> hardware. Find out exactly what speeds you need of I/O CPU, memory, etc. It
> will make it a lot easier to do the embedded system.
>
> If you use standard linux tools to develop the application, it should be
> quickly ported to whatever you build/buy.
>
> It also depends upon the size factor you need. You can buy a board which is
> basically a mother board from a netbook, re-worked to fit in a PC case for
> around 500 NIS with ethernet, video, USB, a slot for DDR3 RAM, a PCI slot, 2
> SATA ports, possibly an IDE port, and a dual core ATOM processor. IMHO would
> make one heck of a prototype for what I think you are doing.
>
> I am designing a board anyway, as the product include more than just the
linux system.
I am looking into selling the product, so i want it as cheap as can be and
as reliable as can be, without staff i do not need.

You could put them in a small PC case with a disk drive and fan, and then
> shrink them by using a smaller case and fan and an SSD device. By that time
> you would have something working to show people (always a good thing) and
> could go to something custom by then.
>
> On the other hand if you don't need a display port, and can be happy with
> USB and 30M bits per second of throughput, there are plenty of ARM based
> routers that would do the job. Or if you can shoe horn your software into an
> android system, buy a Galaxy S2, add an external ethernet and stuff it in a
> black box. :-)
>

> Thanks,
Erez.