Linux is ready for the desktop!

Guy Tetruashvyly guy.tet at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 02:32:45 IDT 2011

On 09/16/2011 02:29 PM, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> There is only one short-term solution, and it is to do what I did: Computer
> stores can, and should, sell preinstalled Linux systems! Some computer store
> employee could spend 10 hours like I did setting up a typical Israeli setup
> on the typical computer he sells, and then offer buyers to have this OS for
> free (but with no warantee either), saving them 400-800 shekels on the price
> of the computer, a saving which is particularly significant when you consider
> that the current retail price for a newbie-oriented but feature-packed
> computer is just 1000 shekels.

Antoher issue I wanted to mention, and I don't know how many of you
would agree, is  regarding the
pirated software in Israel. Here in the U.S , a store would rarely ever
offer an installation of pirated software, the BSA here
has a strong footprint. For many of the friends and family members that
I have cheeked their computers in the past , it was *rare* to find an
original software installed , from the OS and above.
I do wonder what is the % of PC's  sold in greater Israel, ( meaning not
in BUG computers in central TLV ) , that actually leave the shop with
genuine Windows installed.
The obviousness of purchasing and paying full price for software in the
western world makes the Linux marketing much easier, in my opinion. I
believe that in places that software piracy is common, where a copy of
WIn7 Home-edition is also " free " , it kind of takes the sting out.

I can easily imagine explaining with shiny eyes how GREAT Linux is for a
fried of mine, while he tells me with dull eyes " oh well, but my PC
Tech gives me Windows for free "  and then if he gets a court order or
some kind of fine, he will call me in 10 minutes flat saying  " that
Lunux or Minux you were talking about, it sounds great, come here and
install it from me ! they want1500 NIS in order to install Windows on
all my office computers !! who to they think I am, Rothschild ? !! ",

Amusingly enough, if the BSA will hit Israel computer shops hard, and
very hard, I believe that it will do very good to Linux and
Free-Software. But, with the drug dealer mentality that Microsft used to
take over the software world - " let'em use it for free, you'll get them
when they're hooked ", it may not be a surprise that not much is being
done .

Guy