Linux is ready for the desktop!

Ely Levy elylevy at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Sep 19 09:52:04 IDT 2011

Hi,
You might want to take a look at:

http://www.hboeck.de/archives/787-The-sad-state-of-the-Linux-Desktop.html

Or one of the other million posts on the web about it.
Linux desktop is a mess, from video support (no ogl 3 even) sucky sound
support (pulseaudio has it's share of bugs and alsa is way too limited)
Lack of programs (Most of the program are not in the level you can give a
simple user e.g. normal sound/video/flash editor and so on).
The programs which are around don't play nicely with each other. Freedesktop
is so busy in not deciding on any standard that it changes
utility programs every 2 days and never document any of them.
(policykit/udisks/upower/dbus? who say what to who?). Sucky unicode
support/sucky nonstandard bidi support. Lack of normal office suite. Lack of
production quality voice/video over ip client. For programs things are even
worth, nothing that compared to xcode or visual studio, million of gui
interfaces, no debugger with good interface  or profiler (oprofile is way
too complicated unless you are a linux savvy). Every new technology takes
years before it get open source support (try finding normal opencl utilities
on linux) and I can continue for days.

And please spare me all that hardware people fault or everyone like
microsoft. If there is one good thing apple did, it's making this excuse
void.

Ely