xfig+Hebrew

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Sun Apr 15 10:19:04 IDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012, Avraham Rosenberg wrote about "xfig+Hebrew":
> Dear all
>    In an attempt to use xfig with Hebrew text, I started it with:
> xfig -international -geometry 1500x990+0+0 -metric -showlengths -startgridmode 1 -free 5 ???-specialtext -latexfonts -startlatexFont default
>
> The system answered with:
>
> xfig: this input-method doesn't support OffTheSpot input style
> xfig: using ROOT input style instead
>
> The meaning of which I do not know.

"input methods" are (were?) used when the language has so many
characters, that there is no one-to-one correspondence between keyboard
keys and characters, and you need separate software to help you compose
text. It is more relevant to CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean), not to
Hebrew. you can ignore these messages.

> I switched to  Hebrew unicode fonts, but I was unable to input any text.
>    Looking at the xfig help I guess that I should have told it which key
> combination switches the font... Is that so?

Since you use the "root" input method, this would suggest that you
should use your system's regular method of switching language - perhpas
alt-shift, or whatever else you set it to.

According to the 12-year-old instructions I found at
http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/xfig/latin/latin-e.html
you also need to set the LANG environment variable to tell xfig to
expect Hebrew text. 12-year-old instructions may seem excessively old,
but perhaps not if you consider that xfig itself is 27 years old ;-)

I didn't try any of this myself.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                    Sunday, Apr 15 2012,