sms via icq with the new mobile companies

Geoffrey S. Mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 09:55:39 IDT 2012

> Yes, they have an agreement. See
> http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3828098,00.html

1. That article is 2 and 1/2 years old. A lot may have changed since then.

2. Rami Levi just renegotiated their contract with Pelephone, it was
about to expire in late June or early July and they were trying to make
a deal with Orange. They ended up staying with Pelephone.

3. Until we signed up for an "unlimited" plan with Orange, we were
paying 50ag for incoming messages. Since we rarely text it was not an
issue (it did not add significantly to our bill) until my son ran up a
500 NIS phone bill calling his girlfriend and was told to cut it out.

He found a Hebrew site that sends free SMSs and ran up another 400 NIS
in SMS charges before we got the next bill.

So not only check your bill carefully, but before you start sending lots
of free SMSs, make sure it does not cost you to receive them.

Not that it matters much, but I believe if you have a Huawei USB modem
on your asterisk system, you can send an SMS with it. I use it to make
calls but have never gone to the effort of figuring out how to send an SMS.

If I remember correctly there is a similar channel driver for some
models of Nokia phones, connected via USB or Bluetooth.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379