sms via icq with the new mobile companies

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Mon Aug 6 22:18:17 IDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote about "Re: sms via icq with the new mobile companies":
> >In Israel, you *do not* pay for incoming SMSs - it is the sender that
> >pays for them.
>
> Sorry, that's wrong. Until recently you paid for incoming SMSs too.

No, I believe that *this* statement is wrong. I've had Israeli cellphones
for the last 18 years, from 4 different providers and many different deals,
good bad and ugly - and not once did I ever hear of anyone getting charged of
incoming anything - not incoming calls and not incoming SMSs.

I don't know what I am missing... I never heard from anyone else of any plan
(in Israel) which charges for incoming SMSs. Has anybody else on the list
heard of such a plan? Maybe I've been living under a rock?

> If you had a plan from before then you were charged. I found that
> out the hard (expensive) way.

I don't know what I (or you...) are missing here... Either you were
defrauded by incoming "service" SMSs like I suggested in my previous
mail, or alternatively you got these SMSs while you were abroad, which
does cost money even for incoming SMSs (although I think you would have
noticed if that's the case...).

> started dating a girl with no internet coverage at home. After we
> put a stop to their calling, they sent hundreds of SMSs through a
> free site.
>
> It wasn't until a month later that I was reminded of the plan we had.

I'd be suspicious that this "free" site was actually a fraud site, which
charged the receiver real money at the pretext of being a free service.
Unless you're really sure you had this terrible plan, the only plan in Israel
which also charged for incoming SMSs...

--
Nadav Har'El                        |           Monday, Aug 6 2012, 19 Av 5772