[YBA] Lenovo z580 BIOS setup horror story

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Tue Aug 28 15:28:10 IDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM, sara fink <sara.fink at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope that they will take care of your laptop. Next time, I strongly
> suggest to make a list of hardware + serial numbers. Lenovo  doesn't have
> other service except CPM? It's quite surprising. Asus has service at IBM
> labs. at least this is the agreement between bug (who imports asus) and ibm.

I took my Lenovo ThinkPad to IBM for a minor repair (fan replacement).
It was somewhat expensive but quite efficient. They don't trust you
when you say the fan needs replacement, and insist on doing whatever
diagnostic they deem necessary, so they won't just replace a faulty
part on the spot - you need to leave the laptop with them.

My laptop is a few years old, it may be still from the 5 year
transitional period when IBM and Lenovo shared a trademark and
services etc. I never checked whether newer, non-IBM, Lenovos are
serviced by IBM. When I called they didn't ask, but I did give them
the exact model when I called, so I cannot exclude the possibility
that they checked first.

>> So I called 03-914-2800 and received *another* number: 1-809-258990.

03-9142800 is the Lenovo Support number at IBM (unlike YBA I was never
redirected from there), they are in Amitech Bldg, 1 Bialik St., Givat
Shmuel, Sun-Thu 8AM-5PM.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org