Motherboards for new Ubuntu install

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 01:43:07 IST 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 12:46 AM, E.S. Rosenberg
<esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il> wrote:
> (List answer)
> What problems did you have with recent motherboards?
> I have generally had very little to no problems with recent stuff,
> although it obviously depends on what technologies are being used.

About half a year ago Geoffrey and Baruch Siach helped me install
Kubuntu on a recent ASUS P8H61 MLX motherboard. There were problems
with the NIC driver, and even after that was resolved DHCP would Not
Work (tm). This was after about a week of troubleshooting, as the
reported NIC was not the one for which the drivers were needed.

> On my new laptop the installation was less fun but this was/is mainly
> due to UEFI, the way it boots things (it wouldn't boot my bootable
> disk-on-key, but simple bootable disk-on-keys worked [mine has
> multiple OS'es/distros]).

I did not have UEFI issues, though I would of course like to avoid them as well.

> The Intel H61 series chipset is certified to work with Ubuntu since
> 11.10 as is the H77 obviously that does not cover the additional
> components on the board but it's a start
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/make/Intel%20Corporation/?page=5

Thanks, that is a start. The board at least has a PCI slot so I could
add a cheap network card if need be.

> I suspect that what will give and gave most problems recently is the
> UEFI which changes the way we treat how our computer boots:
> - You have to have a vfat boot partition of ~250MiB at the beginning
> of the disk (mount at /boot/efi and _not_ at /boot, you can have a
> separate /boot too though)
> - The disk needs to use got and not a dos partiton table etc.
> Basically a lot of our skills at booting a system have become obsolete...

Thank you for the information.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il