Motherboards for new Ubuntu install

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 11:05:46 IST 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Oleg Goldshmidt <pub at goldshmidt.org> wrote:
> What is specific to Ubuntu as far as MoBo is concerned? I would look at the
> kernel. Are Ubuntu kernels very different?

I don't suspect that Ubuntu is very different from what could be any
other distro,  but I mention Ubuntu (Kubuntu, specifically) because
that is what I'll be using.

With my last Asus motherboard install (summer 2012) Ubuntu did not
have the proper NIC driver. I also could not build the proper one as
*buntu does not come with the tools necessary to compile software. It
was a real mess.

The Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H board comes with a "Atheros GbE LAN chip
(10/100/1000 Mbit)":
http://il.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4143#sp

There is no mention of which driver it needs, and I strongly suspect
that the 1000 Mbit part requires nonconventional drivers as was the
case with Asus board's NIC. There wasn't even a legacy mode for 10
Mbit communications.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il