Motherboards for new Ubuntu install

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Wed Dec 26 13:05:34 IST 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

*buntu does not come with the tools necessary to compile software.

So that's  what is special about Ubuntu... I don't use it, so "lack of
tools" is a foreign concept to me. I am sure the necessary stuff can be
installed though.

The Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H board comes with a "Atheros GbE LAN chip
> (10/100/1000 Mbit)":
> http://il.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4143#sp
>
> There is no mention of which driver it needs, and I strongly suspect
> that the 1000 Mbit part requires nonconventional drivers

Or maybe just experimental, see
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.7.1/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/Kconfig#L16

Like Nadav, I don't buy much HW but I have never had a problem with
anything. My process is, I get a spec from a vendor, look it up, including
the components (e.g., NIC, video card, etc.), and then check whether
everything is supported. if you ask Ivory or KSP for 2/3 options chances
are you will find a MoBo that will work out of the box. Since there is no
"certified with Ubintu sticker" the research is yours to do. You know, I
suppose, what kernel version your distro uses. They may modify the kernel
(RH do, after all) but they are not likely to throw out a working driver.
Get the sources (see LXR above) and/or Google and you will likely find what
you seek.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org