Motherboards for new Ubuntu install

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Wed Dec 26 17:20:54 IST 2012

Hi Eliyahu,

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 04:11:57PM +0200, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> 2012/12/26 Baruch Siach <baruch at tkos.co.il>:
> > Hi Eliyahu,
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 03:45:27PM +0200, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> >> Generally the linux drivers cover an equally large if not larger spectrum...
> >
> > Of course. But there is no guarantee that the covered range exactly overlaps
> > the Windows driver one.
> >
> >> I have an Atheros chip from that family on my laptop, it required me
> >> to install one more package for wired communication (wireless
> >> [different chip, also atheros] worked out of the box):
> >>
> >> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8162 Fast
> >> Ethernet (rev 10)
> >
> > Fast Ethernet is most likely 10/100, not GbE (10/100/1000).
> Correct, I now also notice that the official specs on this laptop say
> it's just 10/100, however that does not change the fact that according
> to atheros it falls in the same family of chips....
> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/search/?csrfmiddlewaretoken=9ec89be3308015f25587de8fd4cd11ff&query=atheros
> >
> > What is the output of 'lspci -n'?
> 1969:1090
> >
> >> The weird thing was that the driver detection program didn't realize this...
> >>
> >> Either way the package that provides the 'alx' driver on Ubuntu 12.10 is:
> >> linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-quantal-generic
> >
> > Are you sure it is not 'atlx'?
> my modprobe history don't lie ;) neither does lspci -v

You are right. This driver has not found its way to the mainline kernel yet.
Its "homepage" is at
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/alx, and
although it has been posted for mainline inclusion back in August
(https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1376841/) the authors have not followed
up.  It is somewhat strange that this driver has found a (temporary) home in
the compat-wireless package (https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/8/409), which is
where you installed it from.  Maybe it is so because the compat-wireless
maintainer, Luis R.  Rodriguez, is an Atheros/Qualcomm employee.

baruch