Dictation software - Hebrew, Linux or Free

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Thu Dec 27 11:12:54 IST 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012, Steve G. wrote about "Dictation software - Hebrew, Linux or Free":
> So, I am looking for a Hebrew dictation software. Preferably Linux, but I
> can do Windows. Should be free, if possible, or inexpensive. Should work
> without a long and hard training period, because my accent is probably the
> Hebrew equivalent of Redneck (I guess in Israel it would be yellow-neck,
> since the dust has less iron clay).

As far as I know, no such free software exists, unfortunately. Though
I'd be happy to be proved otherwise.

This direction (speech to text) is much easier in Hebrew than the opposite
direction (text to speech), so it might be an approachable problem for
somebody on this list who reads this.

> I am not going to hire a typist, nor am I going at this point to take a
> Hebrew typing course, though if it is run in software I'll consider it,
> especially if it is free and Linux (I don't want to stop what I am doing to
> dual boot Windows).

All I can say is "practice makes perfect". Eventually you'll grasp this
Hebrew typing. I thought like you for years, until I had no choice but
write a 100 page document in Hebrew - and when I was done, I was typing
pretty quickly in Hebrew - not as quickly as English, but quick enough.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Dec 27 2012, 14 Tevet 5773