Motherboards for new Ubuntu install

Geoffrey S. Mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 11:53:28 IST 2012

Rami Rosen wrote:
> Hi,
> About four years ago I bought a laptop in one of the stores mentioned
> in the thread. It turned out that it came with a different wireless
> nic than that which appeared in the official
> manufacturer link! It came with a wireless nic without 80211n support.
> And it was not a link to a wrong model. Eventually it turned out that
> it was a rare error from the manufacturer (They said that the same
> model name has different ingredients for the middle east and for
> Europe). And this manufacturer is a big, well known and veteran
> company.Since this was important to me at that time, I asked to
> replace it, but the store did not want to negotiate this
> with the supplier, so I had to negotiate it by myself.

That's not as rare as you would think. 5gHz networking was illegal in
the EU (and Israel) at the time and therefore 802.11n devices could not
be sold there or here.

They still are illegal here, and some manufacturers simply don't sell
those devices here (for example the Apple routers), or sell special
802.11n devices without the 5gHz channels.

I have a whole bunch of EdiMax routers which are special for Israel and
similar locations, they don't have the 5gHz channels, you can't adjust
the output power and they have permanently attached antennas.*

There was a big controversy over the Apple iPhone 5 as it was the first
iOS device with 5gHz networking. At first it was banned from personal
import. I don't know if it is legal to import one, but you have to
promise not to use the 5gHz and the ones sold here will have it removed,
or it's ok to use the 5gHz.

Geoff.

* You are limited to 100m EIRP (radiated power) here by law, so those
high power (200mw) wifi cards or external gain antennas are illegal to use.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play