Fw: [Israel.pm] Officially announcing the Israeli Perl Workshop (ILPW) 2013!

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sat Dec 29 23:09:11 IST 2012

Hi all,

forwarding from perl at perl.org.il . Also see:

http://act.perl.org.il/ilpw2013/

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:54:23 +0200
From: sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com>
To: Perl in Israel <perl at perl.org.il>
Subject: [Israel.pm] Officially announcing the Israeli Perl Workshop (ILPW)
2013!

*Israel Perl Workshop (ILPW) 2013.*

Dates: *Purim, February 24th - 25h, 2013*.

Last year (2012), we held a Perl workshop to promote Perl and FOSS (Free
and Open Source Software) which included talks on various and guests from
around the world. It was deemed very successful and we decided to organize
another one: a bigger one!

 This year's workshop will have a few changes, the highlights being:

   - It will be *two days long*.
   - A very special gust: *Larry Wall*!!112
   - Low attendance fee.
   - Wider crowd / more attendees

 *Two days?*
Yes! Well, not exactly. A day and a half.

We've been satisfied with the amount of talks in the previous workshop, but
the scheduled was rather tight, and we had to forgo some plans we had, such
as tutorials and a hackathon. We attempt to rectify that in the next
workshop.

We have yet to finalize the schedule, but we hope to use the additional
half a day to incorporate hacking sessions and longer talks like tutorials.

*Special guest: Larry Wall*
In Perl-land, the mark of a highly-successful event is one that includes
the very man in charge of creating this language we enjoy immensely: Larry
Wall. Larry visits many events, provides a fun and casual atmosphere along
with deep knowledge, understanding, and a handful of humor. While Gloria
Wall will be visiting us, she will drag Larry along with her.

We are excited and delighted to have Gloria and Larry join us for this
event.

*(Low) attendance fee:*
Our previous event was free of charge, which sounds good in theory but in
practice created many problems for us. Our main problem was having an
accurate measure of attendance, which proved difficult once it was a simple
click to approve attendance without having any requirement to actually show
up.

While the event was very well received and enjoyed a large number of
participants, it was difficult for us to gage our requirements and
expenses. Also, for a larger event our current funding budget is still
somewhat lacking. Having a low attendance fee will allow us to know better
the number of attending persons and will give us another financial kick to
have a smooth event.

The attendance fee will have the usual options of Personal, Corporate and
the Early Bird Special.

*Wider crowd:*
ILPW2012 had eighty (80) attendees which is a rather fine number. This
time, however, we intend to reach out to 120-150 people. One of the ways we
intend to do so is to make the event more facilitating to other
technologies that intersect with Perl, such as Web, Databases, System
Administration (and DevOps), Gaming, and more.

We hope to host talks on various subjects and reach out to other
communities to participate in the event and enrich us in subjects not
necessarily strictly Perl.

*Sponsoring:*

So far we've secured kickstart funding from HaMakor organization, which is
much appreciated. This will help us get in gear. We thank HaMakor for
sponsoring and helping promote such events.

*We need your help!*

We could *really* use your help. While we have big plans, we are
short-handed and will greatly appreciate any help you may be able to
provide. If you want this event to be everything you're hoping for, you can
make that a reality by pitching in and lending your hand.

*Sponsorship:* We're still looking for more sponsors. You can help contact
companies, inquiring about sponsorship opportunities.

*Talks:* We're low on talks. If you've never spoken at an event, you're
suitable! If you've done something cool/interesting/useful, you're
suitable! If you do Perl and have some wisdom to share, you're suitable! If
you would like to showcase modules (yours or not), you're suitable! Please
contact us to submit a talk. We've flexible on subjects.

*Publicity:* In order to reach a wider audience, we will need to take this
on the road. And by “on the road”, we actually mean “on the internet”. This
means contacting other groups, contacting websites and related news
outlets, writing press releases and so on. A great event isn't great if
nobody knows about it.

Please contact either Gabor Szabo (gabor AT szabgab DOT com) or Sawyer X
(xsawyer AT cpan DOT org) to coordinate any and all efforts. We will also
see you at the upcoming Tel Aviv Perl Mongers meetings, where we could
exchange ideas in person. And lastly, the official
Israel.pm<http://www.perl.org.il> mailing
place to discuss ideas.