SSD drives

Lior Okman lior at okman.name
Sun Dec 30 08:45:58 IST 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Dan Shimshoni <danshimsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2 Questions about SSD drives:
>
> First, I would appreciate of someone who has SSD disk will
> run
> hdparm -t /dev/sda
> and post the results here. (In the spirit of the recent thread about
> HW for linux).
>
> I have
> /dev/sda:
>  Timing buffered disk reads: 586 MB in  3.01 seconds = 194.68 MB/sec
> And it interests me to compare results

I have :

hdparm -t /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
 Timing buffered disk reads: 988 MB in  3.00 seconds = 329.27 MB/sec

> Does a result of, let's say, 400  MB/sec, which is double speed comparing
> the
> above result, will boost a task of building a linux kernel (on a dual
> core machine)
> in about 1.5 or 2?
>
> Second question:
> I must admit that I am a newbie with SSD, so this question might seem
> obvoious to others:
> I saw that inner SSD disks, which are sold in stores like KSP/Ivory,
> are in laptop form factor (2.5'').
>
> Is there some reason that there are no inner 3.5'' disks for Desktops
> (there
>         are extenal SSD which can be , so I believe, used with desktops) ?
> Is there something which prevent us from connecting 2.5'' inner SSD to
> a desktop (I mean STAT2- based or SATA3-based)  ?

SATA connectors for 2.5 and 3.5 drives are the same (power as well as
data). You can mount your 2.5 drive in a desktop, but if you don't have any
2.5 bays (which are available in some enclosures specifically for SSD
drives), there are kits of 2.5 to 3.5 brakets you can buy (e.g.,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994085 ).