Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Yedidyah Bar-David linux-il at didi.bardavid.org
Sun Feb 5 08:43:53 IST 2012

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 07:20:39AM +0200, Boaz Rymland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to meet my daughter's school principal on the subject of the
> formats of documents the school spreads around routinely, like the weekly
> schedule. In short - they are using .DOC MS Word format and I don't like it
> as I cannot cleanly open those documents on my computer (which runs Ubuntu).
>
> Although I'm quite old in the Linux world and probably heard over the years
> most of them - still I prefer having a refreshment of all the arguments in
> favor of moving to more open or at least affordable (e.g. PDF) document
> formats.
>
> Any pointers/text will be appreciated.

Searching for stuff like 'do not email me doc files' will find you plenty
of such lists.

In addition to "classic" points you can find, you might suggest that in
this age of always-online connectivity, it's probably better to publish
stuff on the net and not send files. Potential examples: some Wiki (e.g.
wikia.com, there are others), google docs and its competitors, etc.
--
Didi