Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Boaz Rymland boaz.rymland at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 12:16:38 IST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il>wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012, Boaz Rymland wrote about "Re: Preparing to convince
> to shift to non-propriety documents formats":
> > I bet it cannot read my teacher's  document!
>
> Before you go and complain about some supposed facts, I think you should
> verify that they are really correct facts. Is OpenOffice *really* unable
> to read these files (usually it can)? Is Android really not able to read
> it? If you import this document into Google Docs (or equivalently, get it
> by mail to gmail), can't you preview it?

of course the whole reason to this thread and me contacting the principal
is the fsck'ed up document. The document appears badly in LibreOffice
and Google docs (imported). I verified this since sept. 1st till now, on a
weekly basis. Yes, OO does read the document and sort of presents the data
within, including ok hebrew but I don't want and deserve to do guess work
or work harder to try to read a basic document I need to get. I want it to
be perfectly accessible to me, at least it is for M$ Office users.

> > a table full of oversized
> > text, but mostly - toner/ink eating, useless, stupid^H^H^H^H^H images
> that
> > never, and I mean never, really align in the needed cells but rather
> appear
> > somewhere else in the document. That's true also on a recent M$ Word as
> > well!
>
> People doing ugly formatting and wasting ink isn't specific to Microsoft
> Word :( Even if you get them to send you ODF or PDF, they can still send
> you these ugly pieces of crap :(

Right :-)
I do think that there's a valid point here nevertheless - saving ink on
rather useless images, even if sometimes appropriate, is a good practice.
Kids should be taught the same as well.

Boaz.