Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Boaz Rymland boaz.rymland at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:52:18 IST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:44:21AM +0200, Boaz Rymland wrote:
>
> > Google docs is a good but not the best alternative. Google is
> > yet-another-corporate that even if more "public friendly", not a fully
> > M$-Office substitute.
>
> In other words: while an account at Google does not cost money,Google
> Docs is just as proprietary as MS-Office and Acrobat Reader[1]. I would not
> have wanted to be forced to have an account there in order to interact
> with school.
>
> [1] PDF itself is not bad as it has some other good alternatives
> implementations. However relying on in-line remarks in the PDF file,
> which is, AFAIK, supported only by the Adobe reader, is not a good idea.

right, but don't forget that to in order to "read only"  a document, you
don't need a google account - just a publicly readable document who's link
you've got, AFAIK. That's of course hardly a full solution but I'm going to
take it step by step. My daughter has yet to receive assignments so its
only about the weekly schedule documented distributed every week. While
using Google Docs to distribute it, the staff can become accustomed to
Google Docs and maybe even appreciate its comfortableness (the latter is a
NTH). At the same time, I'll have a more easier "marketing job" to do.