Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Boaz Rymland boaz.rymland at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 21:04:29 IST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il> wrote:

> > right, but don't forget that to in order to "read only"  a document, you
> > don't need a google account - just a publicly readable document who's
> link
> > you've got, AFAIK. That's of course hardly a full solution but I'm going
> > take it step by step. My daughter has yet to receive assignments so its
> > only about the weekly schedule documented distributed every week. While
> > using Google Docs to distribute it, the staff can become accustomed to
> > Google Docs and maybe even appreciate its comfortableness (the latter is
> > NTH). At the same time, I'll have a more easier "marketing job" to do.
>
> Are you interested in a read-only or  read-write format?

Well, it depends: if I see good cooperation, openess and willingness to
"hear more", I'll introduce OO suite, as a more full solution that could be
used elsewhere in the school, that could be used by students to fill in
their exercises, etc.
If I wont feel such openness I'll try to push a minimal solution - just
replace that read only format to one that I can read (I lean toward Google
Docs and on second place PDF).

> While it's your fight to pick and not mine, I'm not sure I'd be happy if
> a result would be the replacement of one proprietary format with
> another.

This is not a fight. Fighting will not achieve anything. Achieving
something with arm power is my last resort and I think I wont get there. At
worst, I'll try again sometime in the near future or re-think again (don't
forget - fighting is always possible and should be avoided as much as
possible).

Boaz