Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Boaz Rymland boaz.rymland at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 22:02:52 IST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il>wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012, Micha wrote about "Re: Preparing to convince to
> shift to non-propriety documents formats":
> > I didn't check it and don't know how it applies to school children, but
> > I was told that as a student with a valid student ID you can get a free
> > license for MS software, renewed yearly. Combine that with the MS tax
>
> This doesn't make any sense. Like I said, virtually everyone in the
> country either has school-aged children, or can easily find one - so who
> *won't* get a free MS license if this was the deal?
>
> Last time I checked, there were deals for *teachers*, but not for kids
> or their families. So the teachers find it very convenient (and cheap)
> to use MS, and who cares that the kids' families need to buy all this
> expensive software, or alternatively break the law.

I happen to have more than 1 teacher in my family. That's exactly M$
tactics for "raising" the young generation to their interest: give the *
teachers* extremely cheap M$ licenses and that way enforce the "right"
educations for their students, who'll grow knowing as little as possible
about alternatives. About the price, I'm aware of an offer maybe 3-4 years
old - teachers got the latest Windows license at that time + full office
that cost back then more than 2K NIS, at... <drum rolls>make your
bets!...</drum rolls> - a little over 200nis. That's right! About
a magnitude of the real market price.
On that note its worth mentioning that its been said on Microsoft that "its
a marketing company that happens to sell software".
yuck!
Boaz.