Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun Feb 5 23:05:05 IST 2012

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:26:51PM +0200, geoffrey mendelson wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2012, at 10:02 PM, Boaz Rymland wrote:
>
>> yuck!
>

> So it was ok for SUN to buy StarOffice and give it away in order to
> reduce MS/Office sales?
> OpenOffice's free price and open source was a marketing tool too.
>
> Before you go "you must be anti FOSS" on me, bear in mind there were
> many true FOSS office type products (word processors, a spreadsheet or
> two) and so on, that were crushed by StarOffice (and OpenOffice).

Nope. AbiSuite never made anything more that Abiword. The "GNOME Office"
has indeed lost steam due to OpenOffice's availability (but that was
only after the free (as in OpenOffice.org) version has become available.

KOffice carried on and still does (through recently forked/execed as
Caligra Office). SiagOffice was probably never a real contender and has
only managed to gain some popularity because nothing else was available.

On the other hand, Applixware and CorelOffice have fallen on the wayside
(for Corel: the Linux port). There are still rumoured to be one or two
reasonable proprietary office suites for Linux not based on OO.o .

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best