Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Mon Feb 6 02:43:16 IST 2012

On Sunday, 5 בFebruary 2012 19:37:05 Shlomi Fish wrote:
> I believe recent versions of Microsoft Office support ODT (I don't know how
> perfectly). At least I saw it in their file formats' drop box.

Stay away from this, it's a trap. Their implementation (unsurprisingly)
generates ODF that isn't readable by any other ODF application.

You can find an example of this (refering to ODS):
  http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/05

> If not there
> are some free-as-in-beer plugins available for MS Office to support the
> OpenDocument formats.

There was a Sun plugin, which was covered in the above interoperability
paper, but:
 * It needed some registration to use (so I didn't test it)
 * I'm not sure if still exists after Oracle bought Sun.

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron