Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Mon Feb 20 17:24:20 IST 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012, Dotan Cohen wrote about "Re: Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats":
> Here are the pre-2007 formats:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff381461.aspx
>
> And here are the current versions:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313118.aspx

Amazing. These didn't exist previously!
The document I looked at (the .ppt format) says that "This specification is
provided under the Microsoft Open Specification Promise.". Interesting.

It appears that people may legally use these documents, and even copy
them. And it seems that the document indeed contains all the
information I once needed when I wrote that text extractor. Although it
still would have taken me days to understand this bizarre format, at
least I wouldn't have had to guess what all the strange records meant.

So, I guess there's no reason to say any more that these formats are
undocumented.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                    Monday, Feb 20 2012,