python, beagle, and gmail

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 00:56:58 IST 2012

Short version:

I'm using Python on a Beagle Board xM to read gmail using imaplib, e.g.

  http://www.doughellmann.com/PyMOTW/imaplib/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6282976/download-parse-email-with-python

However, it turns out that

imaplib.IMAP4_SSL

is not present in the version of imaplib available for ARM on angstrom.

I'm not an expert in Python or Angstrom, so I turn to your collective
wisdom:

1) What's my quickest path to scriptable gmail access? Python seemed
obvious, but perhaps quicker alternatives exist.

2) How can I add SSL support to my version of imaplib, or is there a
version of imaplib for ARM that supports SSL?

Am I missing a totally obvious solution?

Thanks for any feedback,
Michael