Disabling the Suhosin patch by default in Debian Wheezy (Debian Testing)

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Sun Feb 26 10:19:00 IST 2012

Very interesting and depressing article.
The general problem is one of securing large software packages.

On one hand, there are optional security patches for the Linux kernel.
Some of them retain their independence for a while.  Others get merged
into the stock kernel.

On the other hand, I don't remember seeing similar problems with Perl or
Python.  Somehow, they manage to incorporate all security fixes into the
standard interpreters, so there is no need for patches like PHP's
Suhosin.

Why is there a difference among PHP, Linux kernel and Perl/Python
handling of security vulnerabilities?

P.S.:  One must remember that the Free Software/Open Source nature of
all those projects allows people to at all develop and apply independent
security patches - something whose absence is overwhelming in ecosystems
like MS-Windows.

--- Omer

--
PHP - the language of the Vogons.