HTML Mail (was: Re: Which technology should I learn to do this?)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jan 8 10:13:50 IST 2012

On Sunday, January 08, 2012 02:15:44 AM Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 08:50:45AM +0200, Dotan Shavit wrote:
>
> Dear Linux-IL subscribers,
>
> Should I officially give up and declare text email as a thing of
> the past? Should I move to some graphical mail client that
> displays and composes html mail? I tried Thunderbird a few times,
> for a few days each, over the last 5 or so years, and always went
> back to mutt.
>
> I see on this list some people that still use mutt. I also have a
> feeling that some of the past users of mutt on this list moved to
> html mail clients.
>
> I do not intend to start a flame war. Feel free to ignore, give
> advice, share your struggles, etc...

I'm 7000 miles away, and don't come to meetings, so I'm not really a
group member, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :-)

In my own, personal opinion, HTML email is an unnecessary hassle and
even possibly an unnecessary security risk. I've never sent an HTML
email, and I often skip reading them, because kmail requires an extra
click every time you read HTML email.

Out of a refusal to switch to kmail2 with its unnecessary complication
of Akonadi, I need to change email clients before transitioning to
Ubuntu 11.10. I'll probably be using Balsa or GNUMail or something
similar. I don't know if my next email client will support HTML email
or not.

Thanks

SteveT

* My new 99 cent Kindle book  :  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QTBLA2 *