Somewhat OT: MythTV / DVB in Israel

Udi Finkelstein Linux-IL at udif.com
Thu Jan 12 14:27:58 IST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM, geoffrey mendelson <
geoffreymendelson at gmail.com> wrote:

>> as for a PCI card - i don't have an idea, but note one thing: the
>> government made a decision to use a different type of broadcast in their
>> future HD broadcasts, then the one originally assumed - check this before
>> you buy any DVB-T equipment.
>>

> Do you have any information about this? All I can find is that the number
> of channels was to be expanded from 5 to 12 and then a few weeks later the
> expansion was to be to 18.

The decision was to use the new DVB-T2 standard for future HD broadcasts,
(I assume they will keep the current SD broadcasts on the existing DVB-T
channel).
DVB-T2 uses a different encoding than DVB-T yielding about 30% higher
bitrate for the same bandwidth, or so are the claims.
This is very similar to the DVB-S vs DVB-S2 migration.

As for MythTV for DVB-T on linux, try searching the
www.hometheater.co.ilforums. I think there are people doing that
there.

udi