[OUT?] Help with Android?

Michael Vasiliev mycroft at infoscav.net
Sun Jan 15 22:22:16 IST 2012

On 01/14/2012 01:08 PM, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012, Amichai Rotman wrote about "Re: [OUT?] Help with Android?":
>> Can we host it on HUJI servers?
> Eli?
> (or is someone else running the list now?)
That would be me.

> If for some reason that doesn't work, there are also Hamakor's servers
> which I assume could be used for this purpose. Is the person running Hamakor
> mailing lists reading this and can confirm? (as you can see below, I
> hope this mailing list *will* be relevant to Hamakor's charter).
>
>> I am reluctant of using those public list servers (like Yahoo! Groups) - is
>> there a way to start an Israeli specific list on Google Groups?
> Of course Google Groups is also possible, but I do think a non-commercial
> host is better.
Wait, Google Groups are not Usenet in disguise? :)

> I propose the following focus for the mailing list. Do people agree, or
> do other people prefer a different focus?
>
> 	* The mailing list's official language will be English (like in
> 	  Linux-il). I don't know how popular this suggestion will be...
>
> 	* The intended audience are (would be) advanced users and (aspiring)
> 	  developers, i.e., Android users who are interested in understanding
> 	  better how their device works, and even improving it - not users
> 	  who never plan to do more than installing games. The subscribers
> 	  *can* be newbies, but newbies of the type that aspire to learn,
> 	  not newbies who plan to remain newbies forever.
>
> 	* The list should focus on free software and open-source. While
> 	  specific hardware devices and some non-free software can be
> 	  mentioned, compared, etc., they should not become the focus of this
> 	  list, just like the focus of linux-il isn't to compare PC
> 	  manufacturers and non-free Linux software (although the
> 	  occasional thread on these topics are acceptable).
>
> 	* The list is for high-level discussions - it won't be a mailing
> 	  list for cooperating closely on the development of a particular
> 	  piece of software.
>
> 	* The intended audience is Israeli, in case we ever want to meet in
> 	  person or discuss Israel-specific questions (hadware sold in
> 	  Israel, Hebrew-related questions, etc.). But for all other intents
> 	  and purposes, non-Israelis are just as welcome. In fact I hesitate
> 	  if/how we should even mention that this is an "Israeli" list.
>
> Any other thoughts?

I think you're describing Linux-IL here, so why not post it there anyway?
I for one do not have a problem with Android questions appearing here.
And I since I sense that Android's ubiquity is yet to be seen, I don't
feel that I waste time reading these discussions. We could have a poll,
of course.

--
MV