suggestions sought for a framework for a quick, dirty, reallysimple GUI prototype

Shlomi Fish shlomif at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 14:01:44 IDT 2012

Hi Ido,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM, ik <idokan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The advantage of using Qt or Gtk compared with some of the other gui
>> toolkits mentioned (fltk, Tcl/Tk, SDL, or Matlab GUI) are that they are
>> complete (lots of widgets, internationalization and localization support
>> etc) if the prototype turns into something bigger than was initially
>> envisioned. To often have I seen tools that were written like "oh, its's
>> only for me" and then a company is trying to figure out how to deploy and
>> support the tool. I therefore thing it is worth taking the time to learn
>> complexity of one of these GUI's, and then use it.
>>
>> The language is a separate issue from the GUI. The difference between Qt
>> and Gtk is that Qt was from the beginning written to be tighly coupled with
>> C++, whereas gtk (actually the glib model) was written so that it is easy to
>> bind it to various languages. There is even a special GObject (the base
>> class of gtk) dedicated language. See:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vala_%28programming_language%29 . True, there
>> are some bindings to Qt, e.g. the official python binding PySide, but the
>> huge amount of bindings to gtk shows that it is a much easier task.
>>
>> In short, decide a language and a toolkit. Take time to learn it. It is
>> well worth your time.
>

> The thing is, that the approach I offered - Lazarus, contain support both to
> Qt and GTK, but you do not care about it in any way, you just focus on your
> task, on the libraries at hand. The libraries are only matter on compile and
> deployment time, not on coding, you do not really use any GTK or Qt code,
> but focus on an API that exists above this.

The problem is that Lazarus is based on Free Pascal, which may have
problem wrapping C++ code which is what Oleg wanted originally.

> The "fight" aginst Qt vs GTK is nice when you need to focus yourself on
> lower level development, not with tools that simplify things to you.

"Fight"?

> Vala, is a very stupid idea. it's a C# like language that is translated into
> C and then built a native code.

Why is it a stupid idea? I recall re-implementing a small Perl program
(which ran too slowly) in Vala, and it performed much better, so I was
happy. I have not done any GUI programming in Vala, but translating
something to C is a valid approach.

> With Lazarus, you program in a real programming language, and instead of
> using a middleware, you just cod your code, and the GUI is designed without
> any line of code (unless you have to, or just want to do it like that).

Are you implying that Vala is not a "real" programming language?

Regards,

-- Shlomi Fish