suggestions sought for a framework for a quick, dirty, reallysimple GUI prototype

ik idokan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 14:10:27 IDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld at gmail.com>wrote:

> Here are a few comparisons. (Note that I always prefer inheriting the main
> window and thus create a derived widget. This typically requires more code,
> but in return you get a real widget that integrates seamlessly into the
> widget system.)
>
> Python gtk:
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
>
> import gtk
>
> class HelloWorld(gtk.Window):
>     def button_clicked(self, data):
>         print "Hello World!"
>
>     def __init__(self):
>         gtk.Window.__init__(self, gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
>
>         self.connect("destroy", gtk.main_quit)
>
>         button = gtk.Button("Press me")
>         button.connect("clicked", self.button_clicked)
>         button.show()
>         self.add(button)
>
> HelloWorld().show()
> gtk.main()
>
> Vala:
>
> using Gtk;
>
> public class HelloWorld : Gtk.Window {
>     construct {
>         this.title = "Hello World";
>         var button = new Button.with_label("Hello world");
>         button.clicked.connect( () => {
>             stdout.printf("Hello world!\n");
>         });
>
>         button.show();
>         this.add(button);
>     }
> }
>
> int main(string[] args) {
>     Gtk.init(ref args);
>
>     var hello_world = new HelloWorld();
>     hello_world.show();
>
>     Gtk.main();
>     return 0;
> }
>
> For pyside / PyQt see:
>
> http://www.harshj.com/2009/04/26/the-pyqt-intro/
>
> It carries some additional noise due to the python vs qt bindings.
>
> Regarding tcl, I once wrote a gtk/Tcl quick and dirty prototyping tool,
> that may be of interest to someone. See:
>
> http://gemshell.sourceforge.net/

Way too much code. In Lazarus you do not need to write this code, unless
you really want to.
Object Pascal is not a dynamic language but a static language, so you can
not compare the two.
Even TP was very complex language, and today's language contain even more
features, generics, mixin, and a lot more.

The API of both Lazarus and Delphi is very close to Qt (Qt came after
Delphi).
But today both with Lazarus and Delphi you can create native code and GUI
depends on the platform.
So you do not need to know GTK, Qt, WinAPI, Android API (yes you can
compile native code to run in JVM), iOS etc...
Except of specific stuff. You just use the API. when you compile to/in
windows it will be WinAPI native, no GTK or Qt.
On Linux, you can use GTK or Qt (in compile time you choose it).
On Mac it will be native to that, on BeOS it will native to BeOS etc..

Have a look at my program (not very simple one):
https://github.com/ik5/display-quotes

Only one method with some GUI code inside for an open dialog, that i did
not want to do in a design time. everything else is about the logic, not
about the GUI.
If you will check it closely, I even have code that that add extra features
if you compile it to GTK, and extra code for Windows based requirements,
only one line of code for it.

I binded there the libnotify library arrive from Gnome/GTK. You can see the
code itself.
When you use Python, you do not use GTK, you use a way that is suitable to
Python that at the end translate into GTK.
When you use Vala, it again translate into C that is translated into
machine code.
When you use Lazarus, you use API, that call the native UI methods (like
with Python), but translated into native machine code (elf, exe, class
files).

You have a lot of components and addons in Lazarus, and it is very simple
to write code with it that will work everywhere.
But people still think that working hard and dealing with too much
dependencies on run time for normal users, is the way to go,
and learning 100000 technologies to write one program, is the proper way,
or that you do not need a fast executable (the fastest in bench-marking
then GCC, intel etc.. ),
then please, by all means, keep on going the wrong way ...

Just remember that C#, Go and even C11 copied from Object Pascal most of
it's features ...

My last "battle" in this thread on the subject.

> Regards,
> Dov

Ido