High-resolution user/system times?

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Wed Jul 25 11:15:08 IDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote about "Re: High-resolution user/system times?":
> > Hi, as you know the time(1) command, and the times(2) system call is
> > able to separate a process's running time into "user" and "system" time,
> > measuring the CPU time in user space and kernel space respectively.
> >
> > However, these only have a jiffy (often 1/250 seconds) resultion.
>
> man 2 getrusage ?

Thanks.

The manual page seems promising, talking about microseconds, but I don't
believe it actually has a microsecond resolution. I think it has the
same jiffy resolution that times() has. Do you believe that it does
have microsecond resolution?

I think we're starting to build here a long list of manual-page bugs...

--
Nadav Har'El                        |        Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 6 Av 5772