Announce: Hspell 1.2

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun Mar 4 01:11:57 IST 2012

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 10:56:20PM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> Frankly, I never understood why OpenOffice not just GPL. Why the
> insistance to allow Sun and IBM to create proprietary versions of it?

OO.o was triple-licensed GPL+LGPL+MPL. The MPL is generally more liberal
than the LGPL - each file is considered separately. But even that was
not good enough for IBM, that kept its own proprietary fork based on a
separate, proprietarily-licensed copy of that work (also used for the
proprietary StarOffice / Oracle OpenOffice and its web version).

Eventually Oracle dropped all of its proprietary OO.o-based products and
OO.o was relicensed as Apache for IBM and one or two other
small vendors with most of the comunity moved to LibreOffice.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best