How do I disable NetworkManager in favor of dhcp setup?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Thu Mar 8 06:47:57 IST 2012

On 03/08/2012 12:21 AM, Micha wrote:
> I believe I pinpointed the problem tp NetworkManager being installed and
> enabled, which means that no network connection is actually configured
> before a user is logged in.
No, it does not mean that at all. Simply set your eth0 connection to be
a "system connection" to resolve your problem.

On a wider note, I, too, used to hate Network Manager. It seemed like
such an over complication in relation to such things as:

> /etc/network/interfaces doesn't exist, so I'm not sure how this is
> supposed to be achieved these days (under debian it's still there, just
> not active by default).
The thing that finally broke me in was the utter impossibility of
setting up a WPA connection without it. It was then easier to learn how
to live with it than to fight its installation (and, on Debian, all you
really have to do is uninstall it, and perhaps also avahi, which I still
hate).

The thing is, network manager brings unity (I know, bad pun) to an area
that used to diverge so much between the distributions. I can't really
call that a bad thing. Unlike what its reputation suggests, the global
configuration isn't so cryptic. Just create a text file under
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections. Ugly uppercase apart - quite
straight forward. I'd like the GUI managers to be more consistent, but
that is really a minor quibble compared to the situation before NM.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.