Hebrew in vim revisited

Avraham Rosenberg for.avraham at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 09:37:14 IST 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 10:19:34PM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> I'm now using a slightly improved version:
>
> 	map <F12> :set invrl invhk<cr>
> 	map! <F12> <C-O>:set invrl invhk<cr>
> 	cmap <F12> <C-_>
>
> For UTF-8, you also need
> 	set aleph=1488
>
> And I also like this font
> 	set gfn=Luxi\ Mono\ 15
>
> The only problem is that now that I've gotten used to the Lyx keyboard
> mapping, with shift-minus being the maqqaf, and other shifts giving me
> niqqud, I'm missing that also in vim... Anybody set up such a keymap?
>
> Nadav.

Hi,
   Thanks for the update. Like Didi, I am using the mlterm with (partial)
He-utf8 localization whenever I write Hebrew. Therefore my mappings are:
 map! <F12> <esc>:set invhk <cr>a
 map  <F12>      :set invhk <cr>
only. The invrl is taken care by the settings of the mlterm.

   I confess that I can't see the big advantage of these bindings over the
overall change of language. On the one hand, I have all the small-case
commands in normal mode. On the other hand, it is harder to grive Hebrew
search/search-replace commands. In theory, after getting used to it, an
overall change of language + a set of macros replacing the small-case
commands with upper case ones gives the best of the two worlds. I'll check
these options in practice, next time I have to edit a lot of Hebrew text.

Thanks to you both, Avraham

--
Please avoid sending Excel or Powerpoint attachments to this address.