How do I disable NetworkManager in favor of dhcp setup?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Thu Mar 8 14:04:37 IST 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:02:27PM -0800, Michael Shiloh wrote:

> And what about those of us on embedded systems or others that offer only
> text-based interfaces? I'm trying to solve exactly this problem on a
> BeagleBoard via ssh, and can not use the GUI.

On my laptop I moved at some point to NetworkManager, but decided not to
use the GUI. I only use configuration files from
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections .

$ cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

[main]
NetworkingEnabled=true
WirelessEnabled=true
WWANEnabled=true

Be sure to enable the parts you want enabled (wireless, wwan) here.

I configure the wired network interface(s) in /etc/network/interfaces:

  allow-hotplug eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

I also have some manual settings there.

Then you need a configuration file. The name of the file can be
arbitrary, but I name it the same as the name of the connection.

$ cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/example_wireless_plain
[connection]
type=802-11-wireless
id=example_wireless_plain
# You MUST set a different uuid for each connection. Don't copy it:
# cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid # or whatever
#uuid=8609b858-69b1-4ca6-adbe-7dcd47cb8711

[802-11-wireless]
ssid=TheirEssID

$ cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/example_wpa2
[connection]
type=802-11-wireless
id=example_wpa2
# You MUST set a different uuid for each connection. Don't copy it:
# cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid # or whatever
#uuid=ca9e4d19-a06f-4c7e-b0db-9f27c1792ba1

[802-11-wireless]
ssid=AnotherEssID
mode=infrastructure
security=802-11-wireless-security

[802-11-wireless-security]
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=The Password

Those two stanzas covered some 99% of the cases for me. Scanning is
still more cumbersome, though. I never did get to autemate generating a
config. Shouldn't be complicated, though.

Reference:
http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/api/09/ref-settings.html

Sadly I did not see any progress in http://bugs.debian.org/637769 .

--