Unicode in C

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Tue Mar 13 17:22:31 IST 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012, Dan Kenigsberg wrote about "Re: Unicode in C":
> In my opinion, it is nice to fit to modern standards of your major target
> environment (read: utf8), but not necessary to cater to all encodings.

It appears that the consensus on this list is that UTF-8 is indeed "the
right way" to do Unicode in C on Linux. I'm happy with this consensus,
but I just can't help but wonder why I can hardly find evidence for this
supposed preference anywhere :(

E.g., in Glib's <gunicode.h> I find UTF-32 characters called "gunichar".
Fribidi also appears to take (e.g., see fribidi_log2vis(3)) UTF-32 strings.
Qt appears to use internally UTF-16. What major free software C library
actually prefer UTF-8?

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                   Tuesday, Mar 13 2012,