I need help with my Android phone, connecting to my wireless router

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Thu Mar 15 08:45:38 IST 2012

On Thursday, March 15, 2012 01:17:54 Meir Michanie wrote:
> Hi Stan,
> My AEG oven clock is out of sync and connecting your HTC Aria to a
> wireless router request for support would be better answered at
> http://lmgtfy.com/ "Let me google that for you"

I apologize if my query seems to be inappropriate for this list. There
has been activity here about Android phones, and the members seem to be
very knowledgeable  about them. I hoped someone would spot the source of
the malfunction (whether it is in the hardware, firmware, or between the
keypad and the chair).

Since I have followed carefully the simple directions of the User's
Guide, with the result I described in my query, and I have already
googled, albeit  without the aid of the link you have kindly provided,
it seems to me that I need to submit the problem in the manner that I
did; I am not able to encapsulate it in a few keywords. Apparently this
is not the place. Sorry. Because the firmware is also suspect, and
because this is specific to Cellcom, the provider, and not identical
with the original, It seems obvious to me that I must seek advice from
Israeli users. If that is misguided, again, I apologize. And no, the
"technical support" people at Cellcom (better described as "trained
seals") are of no help whatever.

And please accept my  regrets for the problem of your oven clock.

> 2012/3/14 Stan Goodman <stan.goodman at hashkedim.com>:
> > This is my first smart phone, an HTC Aria, and I am learning it bit
> > by bit. I am having difficulty in having it communicate with my
> > LAN through my wireless router, specifically getting through the
> > WPA authentication, although that would seem to be a very simple
> > and straightforward matter.
> >

> > The phone does see the router's signal, remembers its SSID, and
> > reports that it has good signal strength. The only missing step is
> > entering the password.
> >

> > When I am asked to enter the password, I type it in and press
> > <Connect>. The instrument then checks its authenticity, and the
> > next thing that appears on the screen is the empty password field,
> > so I understand that authentication failed.
> >

> > But the password I have entered (many times, out of disbelief and
> > frustration) is the correct one. I know this because it is
> > successful with my laptop. When I access the web server of the
> > browser, I can see the password that the router knows it has, and
> > that is what I have been feeding the phone -- all lower-case
> > characters. I do not understand why the same string fails with the
> > phone.
> >

> > For what it's worth, the phone is able to connect with another
> > wireless net that doesn't require authentication.
> >

> > Here are the security details of the wireless router:
> >
> > Network authentication: WPA2-PSK
> >
> > WPA Group Rekey Interval: 0
> >
> > WPA/WPA1 Encryption: AES
> >

> > I would be grateful for any helpful advice.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Stan Goodman
> >
> > Qiryat Tiv'on
> >
> > Israel